According to Fuseware, there are 1,1 million registered Twitterers in South Africa, but up to 60% of them are not tweeting.
Bruce Attridge tops the list of active tweeps by number of followers, as at the 8th of April 2012. The table below shows the country’s Top 10.
The list, compiled from Twitter Counter, has a good mix of personalities. Here is how it stacks up:
- 1 Photographer – Bruce Attridge
- 1 Comedian – Trevor Noah
- 4 Media personalities – Gareth Cliff, DJ Fresh, Bonang Matheba and Dineo Ranaka
- 1 Sport – Soccer World Cup 2014
- 2 Techies – Nico Baird and Alaa Abd El Fattah
- 1 Politician – Helen Zille
One discernible insight from ordering of the Top 10 table according to Klout scores is that the three Twitterers with comparatively lower public profiles have lesser influence on Twitter.
As the two tables above show, there tends to be (in)direct relationship between one’s public profile, number of followers and level of influence on Twitter. This is supported by the microblogger’s overall top 10, which is lead by Lady Gaga, is made up of only celebrities and is dominated by musicians.
- Nuffdotty – where thoughts on the subject of education, mostly relating to South Africa, are shared
- Diski4Life – a blog about development of South African soccer post World Cup 2010